1735 Kungliga Ritarakademien (Royal Drawing Academy) is founded; partly to educate young Swedes to become artists in a European spirit and partly to create a forum for established artists.

1773 The first written statues for the Art Academy are formulated and signed by Gustav III. Much of the mode of thought is borrowed from the French Art Academy. Scholarships for study trips to Rome and Paris are established. A study program is developed, including drawing after antique plaster casts and live models, theory of perspective, anatomy and instruction in printmaking. Instruction in architecture also begins in the same year.

1790-1800 The Academy moves to Fredsgatan 12, a house donated by the moldmaker Gerhard Meyer (the nickname "Mejan" for the college is probably derived from his name).

1810 The name of the Academy is changed to: Kungliga Akademien för de Fria Konsterna (Royal Academy for the Fine Arts)

1847 The first female "extra students" come to the college.

1856 The instruction in painting begins.

1864 "Fruntimmerskolan" (the art education for women) starts. Men and women are taught separately.

1880's A strong opposition against the education at the Art Academy springs up, supported by for example Carl Larsson, Ernst Josephson and Anders Zorn.

1895 The Printmaking School is founded.

1902 "The Decorative School", later the Monumental School, is founded. Around the same time the school changes its name to Kungl. Konsthögskolan (Royal University College of Fine Arts).

1953 The Sergel-House, close to Hötorget, is torn down, where the instruction in sculpture, drawing and printmaking took place.

1978 The Royal Academy of the Arts and the Royal University College of Fine Arts are divided into two entities. The college becomes an independent college under the aegis of the Ministry of Education.

1984 The instruction in multimedia begins.

1988 The Printmaking workshops on Skeppsholmen are totally renovated.

1992 The new multimedia department is opened.

1995 The new premises on Skeppsholmen are inaugurated.

2010 The name of the institute is changed to: Royal Institute of Art